Thursday Musical Auditions
Application Deadline: Friday, March 9, 2018
Application Fee: $25
Audition Date/Time Period: Saturday, April 7, 2018; Scheduled Between 9:00 am and 12:00 noon
Where: MacPhail Center for Music, 501 South 2nd Street, Minneapolis
(Note: Organists will be heard at a mutually acceptable time and place.)
Audition Categories: Soloist, Ensemble, Classical Music Specialist – Soloist, Classical Music Specialist - Ensemble (The Classical Music Specialist category, soloist or ensemble, are those who specialize in a particular period or genre of music, such as early music, a period music specialty or classical jazz.)
Prepare and perform three contrasting selections, differing in style, tempo and technique. Choose from the following four categories (one selection per category):
- Renaissance and Baroque (e.g. Byrd, Dowland, Purcell, Bach, Händel, etc.)
- Classical (e.g. Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, etc.)
- Romantic (e.g. Schubert, Chopin, Brahms, Liszt, Wolf, Albéniz, etc.)
- French Impressionism and 20th Century (e.g. Debussy, Ravel, Stravinsky, Prokofiev, Britten, Ives, Gershwin, Copland, Bernstein, etc.)
- 21st Century compositions
- Traditional or “ethnic” music
- Vocalists must include one aria from an opera or oratorio.
- Classical Music Specialists must prepare and perform three contrasting selections from within their specialty.
- Musicians only presenting traditional or “ethnic” music must prepare and perform three contrasting selections.
- Please feel free to contact the Thursday Musical Auditions Chair if you have any questions about your selections.
- The total audition time is eight minutes on stage. Judges must hear parts of all three songs/pieces within the time allowed. You are responsible for determining the length of each selection you play within those eight minutes. The timekeeper will keep the clock running in the intervals between selections. There is no penalty for stopping before eight minutes or being stopped in the middle of your performance, so long as you have performed most of all three selections.
- You must provide your own accompanist.
- Memorization is required for keyboard soloists and vocalists. Memorization is encouraged but not required for all other soloists. Memorization is not required for ensembles.
Part I (application/payment) and Part II (photo submission)
Part I: Fee + Application
Audition Applications are now CLOSED.
Part II: Photo Submission
We ask for a headshot of you, or your ensemble, this is used as part of the audition process and later for marketing efforts once you have joined Thursday Musical.
Title your photo by the contact or ensemble name of the application. (e.g. "Jane Doe.jpg" or "John Doe's Ensemble.jpg")